Let it be known, I am not the master chef in this house. THAT is where Josh steps in, if it wasn’t for him, I would STAAAAAARVE (yes, I said that just as you imagined) But I do have a couple recipes under my sleeve, and shockingly, these, are the kids favorites.
So today, on this cold rainy day, I’m going to share my personal favorite, which is Homemade Hamburger Helper. Which in our house, it’s called “Houston Helper”.
It’s really easy to toss together, it makes a ton, and taste way better than the boxed version.We use it to feed kids on the weekend, and then pack up leftovers for our lunches, or Josh’s work dinners. Reheats really well, and filling for sure.
What You’re Gonna Need:
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 2 (10oz) cans Tomato soup
- 1 (1lb) box Pasta, medium – I prefer the elbow noodles, they soak up more flavor
- Shredded Cheddar
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
Let’s Get Cookin’ Good Lookin’:
- Go ahead and start cooking your pasta according to the box on one eye of your stove.
- On another eye, start browning your hamburger meat, I like to brown it a little then add some salt and pepper, and a bit of garlic powder just to give it flavor.
- Once you’ve browned your hamburger, toss in your 2 cans of Tomato soup, and your noodles. Mix all of that together with a bit of cheese.
- Next get a casserole dish, I LOVE my no stick Fiesta Baking Dish,I have all the plates/bowls/everything. It’s worth every penny as these have been in my life since 2011. (which is on sale here!)
- Pour the entire mixture into the dish. And add a layer on top of the shredded cheese. You can use as little or as much as you want, the less you use the crunchier the shells will be and the more the cheesy it will be.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove and Enjoy immediately!
Toss some salads on the side, or maybe some garlic bread. This makes enough to serve all 6 of us, with leftovers, and don’t be fooled, we don’t make tiny plates around here. The girls like theirs with a little hot sauce, and I like mine with just a little sour cream! Give it a try, and let us know what you think, it may become your weekend favorite as well!